Sep 30, 2008

To the Top





Renee, Stefano and I ventured the 530 steps up to the top of St. Peter's dome today.  It was a struggle, with winding, tilting stairwells and narrow halls but we made it, and the view was gorgeous.  

New things surprise me every day in Rome.  I'm really starting to settle in and enjoy the experience.  There are so many unique things here about the Italian culture.  The Italians are so friendly if you just speak a little Italian to them first.  They jump up and are ready to help you.  I was at the pharmacy the other day, and had looked up the phrase for "my throat hurts".  The lady understood me right away and was offering me different medicines and smiling.  It's nice to be understood...at first.  Of course, I had no idea what she was saying back to me. 

But people who do speak English love to talk.  They know right where Ohio is, and that they want Obama to become president.  

Car horns are especially important here.  And almost everyone has a little vespa.  All different types of people ride vespas, old men dressed in spunky clothes, men in business suits, and young women in high heals.  

I've also gotten used to the lovely water system.  It's everywhere!  And apparently the Romans freak out when they visit other cities because they don't have their plentiful supplies of water at their feet.  

Life sure seems great here. :)

No comments: