Oct 5, 2008

Ostia Antica Inspiration~!



When we had journeyed up to Ostia Antica a couple weeks ago, I had ventured off on my own fairly early in the excursion. As I was wandering around, and trying to find everyone else, I stumbled upon this half-broken pillar-block of some sort, and noticed that it had carvings close to the base of it. I got closer to observe the carvings, and circled around it, only to find that on one side of it it had these gorgeously carved horses pulling a chariot. It was really suprising to find this thing, because it was pretty much in the middle of a whole bunch of rubble, and there were hardly any carvings elswhere in the whole area. So I sat down in the dirt, and started to draw these horses. They were just amazingly graceful and powerful carvings. It truly hit me!



As I was trying to come up with subject matter for my miniature project, my mind drifted back to these horses, and I took out my sketch and started drawing the horse in the front. As of late, I've been heavily inspired by heavy design elements, and, I've always had a liking to creepy/morbid things. So, combine with what i saw at Ostia Antica, heavy design, and morbid stuff, and you have this!


No comments: